Assembly of the City of Belgrade
The Assembly of the City of Belgrade is a representative body that executes the essential functions of the local government stipulated by the legislation and the City Charter. The Assembly consists of 110 councilors elected at the local elections for the four years’ term. The City Assembly gets together according to circumstances, and at least once in three months.
The Chairperson of the City of Belgrade Assembly organizes the work of the Assembly, summons sessions, suggests the agenda and presides over the Assembly sessions, looks after implementing of the transparency of work of the City Assembly, signs bylaws adopted by the City Assembly and performs any other operations entrusted by the City Assembly. The City Assembly elects the Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade from the complement of the councilors for the four years’ term.
- Nikola Nikodijević, Chairman of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade
- Andrea Radulović, Deputy Chairman of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade
The Secretary of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade looks after the performance of professional operations in connection with convening and holding of sessions of the Assembly and its working bodies, and manages administrative affairs related to their work. The Assembly appoints the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of the Assembly at the proposal of the Chairman of the City Assembly, for four years.
- Biljana Živković, Secretary of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade
- Vukica Lončar, Deputy Secretary of the Assembly of the City of Belgrade
Authorities of the Assembly of the City are:
- Adopting of the City Charter and deciding on its amendments;
- Bringing of decisions and other bylaws and providing authentic interpretation of those decisions and bylaws;
- Adopting of the program of the City development and certain activities, as well as the regional physical plan and urban development plans;
- Adopting of the City budget and annual financial report;
- Founding of public enterprises, public services, and participating in the foundation of enterprises of interest to the City;
- Deciding on construction, maintenance, and use of streets, squares, and other public buildings/facilities of importance to the City;
- Deciding on taking loans for the City and on floatation of a City bond issue of the City, as well as on investments of the City funds;
- Calling of the City referendum, deciding on the proposals contained by public initiatives, and specifying a draft decision on voluntary local taxes;
- Adopting of the ground rules of protection, use, and melioration of the agricultural land and looking after their implementation;
- Adopting of the annual program of acquiring real estates necessary to meet the needs of the City bodies and City Administration, further to the approval of the Government of the Republic of Serbia;
- Constituting of the City Administration, services, and other organizations of interest to the City;
- Electing and relieving of the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson of the Assembly, chairpersons and members of working bodies of the Assembly;
- Appointing and relieving of the Secretary of the Assembly and his/her deputy;
- Electing and relieving of members of the City Council further to the Mayor’s proposal;
- Nominating and relieving of the Steering and the Auditing Committees, appointing and relieving of the directors of the organizations it is the founder of, and issuing of approvals on their bylaws, in compliance with the legislation;
- Deciding on awarding the title of the honorary citizen of Belgrade, the Plaque of the City of Belgrade, and other public awards;
- Appointing and relieving of the Head of the City Administration and his/her deputy, further to a proposal of the Mayor;
- Giving of the opinion on the legislation that stipulate issues of the interests to the local self-government;
- Bringing about the procedure for protecting of rights of the local self-government before the Constitutional Court;
- Issuing of the approval on using names, coat of arms and/or other symbols of the City;
- Deciding on the membership in the national and international organizations of cities/towns;
- Adopting of the rules of procedure on its work;
- Carrying out of other operations in accordance with the legislation and City Charter.
The members of the working bodies (councils and commissions) are elected by the Assembly from the complement of the councilors, at the proposal of councilors’ groups and proportionally to the number of councilors they have in the City Assembly.
ASSEMBLY OF THE CITY OF BELGRADE
Dragoslava Jovanovića 2; Switchboard: 3229-678