Famous Buildings 1


In Topčider

After having built the residence for his wife and children in the town of Belgrade, Knez Miloš Obrenović raised this lodging for himself in Topčider, in 1831-1834. The building was constructed by the builders Janja Mihailović and Nikola Đorđević, and works were conducted by Hadži-Nikola Živković, the supervisor and builder of almost all construction enterprises of Knez Miloš. The rich interior decoration of ceilings, walls and niches, is partially preserved until today. During the time of his first rule, Miloš has stayed here from time to time only, while during his second rule he spent all of his time here (two years) and eventually died here on September 14, 1860. For some time there were the Museums of Knez Miloš and Mihailo Obrenović, and later the Museum of Forestry and Hunting, established in 1929.

At the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the First Serbian Insurrection (1954), the Museum of the First Serbian Insurrection was opened in the Konak, and it was thematically dedicated to the whole period of Serbian liberation wars against the Turks (from 1804 until the second hatišerif (charter) of 1839). The Museum's exhibits represented the starting point for making of the Historical Museum of Serbia in 1963. In front of this building grows one of the oldest and most beautiful plane-trees in Europe, protected by law as a natural rarity (it is more than 160 years old).

(Dobrinja, Užice district, about 1780 - Belgrade, Topčider, 1860) the leader of the Second Serbian Insurrection and the Knez (Prince) of Serbia

He has participated in the First Serbian Insurrection and especially showed his abilities during the conquering of Užice, in 1807. After Serbian defeat he has stayed in Serbia and surrendered to the Turks (1813). When Turkish terror intensified again, he escaped Belgrade and in 1815 led the Second Serbian Insurrection. He defeated the Turks near Palež (Obrenovac), at Ljubić and Dubalj in Mačva. Then he made an oral agreement with Marashly Ali-pasha and gained a very limited autonomy for Serbia, which was then only the Belgrade Pashalik. He has ingeniously expanded this territory more and more. By the Turkish hatišerif of 1830 Serbia was recognized internal self-government, and Miloš was granted hereditary title of Knez (Prince).

His internal policy was rigid, he has mercilessly eliminated his enemies (in 1817 he ordered the killing of Karađorđe, the leader of the First Serbian Insurrection). He has been the wealthiest man of Serbia. His despotism has irritated the people, thus provoking the rebellions throughout Serbia. In 1838 the Sublime Porte issued a new hatišerif which limited Miloš's power. Discontented, he abdicated in 1839. Soon after this, the Karađorđević dynasty has replaced the Obrenović dynasty, and Knez Aleksandar Karađorđević became the ruler. By the decision of St. Andrew's Assembly, in 1858, Aleksandar war dethroned. Miloš became the Knez again and ceremoniously entered Belgrade in 1859. He has ruled for two more years, until he died in 1860.

Kneza Sime Markovića 8

It was built in 1829-1831 under the supervision of Hadži-Nikola Živković, the pioneer of Serbian architecture in the first half of XIX century. By the order of Knez Miloš Obrenović it was built as a living place for his family, Kneginja (Princess) Ljubica and sons - Milan and Mihailo. The building is preserved until today as a most representative urban house of the first half of XIX century. Its design has all the characteristics of Oriental architecture, and its variant, so-called Serbian-Balkan style, but containing decorative elements of classicism which announced the influence of the West on the national architecture in the early period of renewal of Serbian state.

Since the throning of Aleksandar Karađorđević in 1842, the building has been used as a Lice, Court of Cassation and Appeal Court, Museum of Art, Church Museum, Senior Home, Bureau for Protection of Cultural Monuments of Serbia, an today it is a part of the Museum of the City of Belgrade and it is used for exhibitions of museum material and paintings. The permanent exhibition in the Konak consists of original furniture, made in Oriental-Balkan style as well as in other styles of that time (classicism, Biedermeier, neo-baroque).

(1788-1843), wife of Knez Miloš Obrenović

In her marriage with Miloš she has born sons Milan, who ruled Serbia for less than a month, from June 13 until July 8, 1839 and died young, and Mihailo, who ruled twice, 1839-1842 and 1860-1868.

Studentski trg 1

It has been built from 1858 until 1863 as a private palace of Miša Anastasijević, "the Danube captain" and the wealthiest man in Serbia of his times. The architect was Jan Nevole, Czech by origin, who has also designed some buildings in Serbia and Belgrade. This palace has been gifted to the Serbian people (the writing on the main facade - "Miša Anastasijević to his fatherland") for educational and cultural purposes. In its time it was the greatest and most beautiful palace in Serbia.

Influences of various styles, cultures and epochs are mixed in its architecture, but the most notable are the elements of renaissance and romantism. According to the will of the endower, the building hosted almost every important educational and cultural institutions of the Principality of Serbia - Ministry of Education, Great School (predecessor of the University), First Belgrade Gymnasium, National Museum, Art Gallery and Library. Occasionally, its gala hall has been used for the meetings of the National Assembly (1864-1875) and Senate (1901-1903). Today, there is the Rectorate of the University of Belgrade and parts of the Faculty of Philosophy.

(Poreč, 1803 - Bucharest, 1885), merchant and shipowner

One of the most famous representatives of the primitive accumulation of capital in Serbia. In 1833 Knez Miloš gave him a title of "the Danube captain", and in the time of "defenders of the Constitution" he was President of National Assembly. The large part of his wealth he has used for charities and educational purposes: he established the "Belgrade Reading-room" in 1846, built a church and two-storied school in Romania...