Museum of Automobiles

Muzej automobila
Collection of Bratislav Petković

Majke Jevrosime 30
tel: 3034-625

Director: Bogdan Petković

The founders of the most recent within the range of technical museums in Serbia are the Assembly of the City of Belgrade and Bratislav Petković, a collector and the owner of a collection of historically important automobiles and archive materials about the development of the domestic car industry. The Museum is accommodated in a building, which has been given a landmark status under the name "Modern Garage". It was constructed in 1929, as the first public garage (Central Garage) in the City center, according to the designs of the Russian architect Valeriy Stashevsky.

The Museum accommodates a part of the collection (40 automobiles) of over 70, which make up the collection. The collection includes old-timers and rare automobiles, which are particularly important for studying of the development and technical progress of car industry with us and in the world. The oldest automobile is Marot-Gardon, France, dated 1897, a three-wheel vehicle, with a wooden body (ash), a two-seater. The collection also includes the French automobile Charrron dated 1908, with wooden wheel spokes and a luxurious wooden body type Landolet, which used to be handmade against orders; then Ford model T, dated 1925, the first automobile manufactured in a large series, on the assembly line.

The collection also includes the automobiles from the fifties, sixties, and seventies of the 20th century, such as: Mercedes 300 C - convertible D, known as Adenauer, from 1956, one of only 51 cars that were manufactured; Jaguar MK2, from 1963, the first luxurious sports car, which could develop a speed of over 200 km/h; Cadillac de ville convertible, from 1957, with eight-cylinder engine and automatic transmission, which was an extravagant automobile in its time, with automatic roof lifting and window opening and with electric seat adjustment. The collection includes both original and restored automobiles prominent among them being: Ford from 1902, Lancia Lamda from 1925, Citroën B10 dated 1926, Buick 28-58 Opera coupe from 1928, Škoda R6 dated 1929, Aero 10 from 1929, Alvis from 1930, BMW 327/328 dated 1938, Rover 14...

The Museum holds the ancillary equipment: wheels, horns, lanterns, radio sets, tools, driver’s licenses, posters, commercial adverts, registration plates, the first traffic regulations and legislation. The Museum also keeps a collection of photos, documentations of old tools and equipment, as well as a collection of books and a video library with several thousand titles.

Opening hours: 11.00-19.00, except on Mondays and Holidays